Jan 22, 2010

They don't plow the Janesville GM parking lot any more.

I carry my computer in a brief case when visiting McDonald's for breakfast in Janesville and some people there think that I am a businessman. The McDonald's is across the street from the Rock County Job Service office and employment seekers come over for coffee. This week as I was leaving the restaurant, a dignified man in his late 50s stopped to ask if I had a job available for him. I need some home improvement work done so I asked about his occupation. In the cold wind, he patted down his gray hair and said tool and die maker but he would consider other jobs.
I admired him for being aggressive in trying to help himself. I worried about him being older and out of work. And I felt a little guilty about not having to work any more for money.
On my way home, I drove past the massive but vacant GM plant. They don't plow the employee parking lot any more.

No comments: