Jun 25, 2011

Eddie Doucette's Hall of Fame induction


As a young TV broadcaster in Green Bay, I got to see a lot of the Packers greats up close and personal.

I was thrilled when Bart Starr greeted me with, “Hi Glen,” in his southern accent before we were even introduced. Later he dressed me down for an investigation I was doing about some of his players. And still later, Bart assisted me in a project helping kids without fathers.

Later, I worked at another Green Bay TV station where massive Forest Gregg did his show as coach. I was kind of scared of him when he stormed passed me in hallway with his eyebrows twitching.

I was even a guest in the home of Ray Nitschke. He had a big oil painting of himself in uniform hanging in his beautiful living room....

Now as an old, wrinkled member of the Wisconsin Broadcasters Hall of Fame, I am still meeting famous Wisconsin sports personalities.

At our annual dinner this week, I got to shake hands with Eddie Doucette who called the games when the Milwaukee Bucks won their 1971 national championship with 7-2 center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Oscar Robertson.

No comments: