Apr 9, 2011

Rock River boy becomes dinosaur hunter


This video documents how important the Rock River was to a boy who would grow up to lead important scientific expeditions around the world.
Roy Chapman Andrews mentions the river a number of times in his books. For example, when he told of his dislike of snakes--something he had in common with the fictional character he is often associated with--Indiana Jones:
I have tried to remember when I began to dislike snakes so actively because I am interested in almost all other living things, and I am sure it dates from the time when I was about fourteen years old.
I was shooting along the banks of the Rock River in Wisconsin and spent the night in the open. After my dinner of bacon and bread I curled up to sleep with my head on a coat at the root of a great tree. During the night I felt something wriggling in my hair and sleepily put up my hand. A cold body curled about my wrist and bare arm. You could have heard me yell for at least seven miles and I leaped up shaking with fright. It was only a garter snake but if it had been a rattler I couldn't have been more scared. I didn't get over it for weeks. I used to have snake dreams even though I had never even smelled the cork of a whisky bottle at that tender age.

No comments: